The cost for the entire three-week McNeese Field Biology Research Experience is $3850.
What is Included:
- students will stay in the residence halls at McNeese State University
- during the overnight field trips to the Kisatche National Forest, students will camp in tents
- during the overnight trip to Rockefeller Refuge, students will lodge in the on-site student dorms
- during the visit to Houston, students will stay in a Holiday Inn for one night
Buffet breakfast, lunch, and dinner at McNeese State University cafeteria. Rowdy's Cafeteria offers a large selection of freshly-prepared southern foods (classic Cajun dishes, seafood, etc.), a large salad and fruit bar, and an assortment of American favorites (hamburgers, pizza, french fries, etc.). Vegetarian options are widely available.
A couple times per week we will eat at local restaurants, and we will also grill burgers and hot dogs.
Backpack and T-shirt
Each student will receive a McNeese Field Biology Research t-shirt, a Field Backpack, a weather-proof field notebook, and a binder for classroom materials. Field guides will be provided to students for various activities (to be returned).
Travel To All Activities
Round trip travel to all field sites and the Houston leisure field trip
All Bedding Materials
blankets, sheets, pillows, and pillow cases
Fishing licenses and supplies for crabbing trip
Supplies for Outdoor Activities
Supplies such as sunscreen and insect repellents will be provided for all outdoor activities
What is NOT Included:
- Travel to and from Lake Charles Municipal Airport (LCH). Students will be picked up at the Lake Charles airport prior to the start of the program and returned to the Lake Charles airport at the end of the program.
- Personal toiletries - toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.
- Personal spending money for trip to Houston (Museum of Natural History and NASA)
What Should I Bring?
Students will spend a substantial amount of time in the field. The climate in southern Louisiana is humid with daytime high temperatures for this region ranging into the 90s, with lows typically 75-80 degrees F.
Clothing Appropriate for field work. Clothing might become wet, dirty, muddy during field work, and thus several changes of clothing are suggested for each trip. Students should bring quick-dry field shirts, short/pants, durable field shoes or hiking boots, hat, sunglasses, etc.
Note - students will have opportunities to wash clothes free of charge. However, several days of clothing will be needed for multi-day, overnight field trips.